This banner text can have markup.
"Founded in 1849 by the alumni of Marshall College at Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, this periodical emphasized the historical basis of Christianity. Originally called the Mercersburg Review, it was first edited by John W. Nevin, and influenced by Philip Schaff, later a leading church historian. It was filled with controversy, and during its early years included some poetry and essays and some political comment. Forced to suspend during the war, the Review was resumed in 1867 by T.G. Apple, and moved to Lancaster, changing its name to the Reformed Quarterly Review in 1879. It was less fresh and attractive than before, but more conciliatory. In the fourth series, started in 1897, more sociological and economic writing appeared and circulation increased" --Cf. American periodicals, 1740-1900.
Uploaded by Unknown on